Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day!!

Many people celebrate today and I find myself questioning what are they celebrating?  Over two hundred years ago we gained our countries independence from England is that what we are celebrating?  Are we celebrating independence  within our nation?  Within other nations?  What exactly does Independence Day represent?  I do not or cannot say what it means for others, but I can and of course will tell you what it represents for me!

Independence Day is a day I wake up grateful to live in a country where I can independently decide my religion, education, clothes, friends, husband, language, opinions, and everything else that makes me who I am.  I wake with gratitude in my heart for all the men and women who have fought on my behalf for my independence whether it be through war, politics, civil justice, or social justice acts.  I then close my eyes and pray that the independence I has thus experienced be what I experience that day and that others are blessed to the same experience.  I then get out of bed and reality hits.

I am very fortunate to experience independence in all it's glory because I am a white, straight, middle aged, middle class, born US citizen.  No I didn't forget that I am a female because that limits some of my independence, any who tangent.  I cannot help, but think this Independence Day of those less fortunate within my country that do not have the same independence.  Why?  If we came seeking originally religious independence and independence from the king why then do we still dictate who gets what?  Now I am not saying people should be able to kill if they want to or rape or anything to that extreme, but what about people of color are they truly experiencing all the independence our country has to offer?  Are people in the LGBTQI community enjoying independence? Why do we dictate others independence?

I am so GRATEFUL for the men and women who have contributed in the past, present, and will in the future to my independence.  I just hope that they will also contribute to others who don't.  I love my country and all of my fellow country men!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment