Thursday, June 21, 2012

Who Am I? A Loaded Question.

When we ask ourselves the question: who am I are we looking for the real answer or just the superficial answer? Do we understand the magnitude of that question?  Are we able to sifter between who I am and what I am?  Is there a difference?  Over the last several years I have been in search of my own personal answer to who I am.  I know who others tell me I am or what aspects contribute to who I am, but only I can define for myself who I am.

This journey started when I took an introductory class to oppression.  In this we had to identify the main parts of our identity.  For me these parts are: White, Straight, Female, Christian, Young Adult, Temporarily Abled Body.  To me these are what I am.  Who I am comes from what I do with what I am.  I know sounds a little confusing, but it is me and I will elaborate. 

The first thing that comes to my mind is the line: Who I am is who I wanna be, from the song I'm a Survivor.  I found myself at the start of my journey deciding if I was who I wanted to be, if I wanted to be something more, different, or if I really was anything.  Although I believe I will be on this journey my full life I also believe I have a firm foundation of who I am.

I am Cheri Danielle Mills.  A woman who has seen a lot and is ready to see so much more.  I am kind, considerate, educated, hard working, proud, sensitive, responsible, and giving.  I have my moments of selfishness, insecurities, doubt, and fear, but those moments only add to who I am.  I know it seems that I have just listed a bunch of words, but these words lead to the actions that support who I am.  I have blunt moments and sugar coating moments.  I do not regret anything in my life for everything that I have done at one time is what I thought was right for the time.  I own my responsibilities and consequences.  Really in the end I am just Cheri Danielle Mills and I don't want to be anyone else.  

I don't know if this is clear or not, but who we are is who we choose to be.  When we accept ourselves imperfections and all we are able to be the great people we are.  I am not ashamed of who I am because who I am is making a difference.  I hope as others go on this journey that they will find themselves at the conclusion of peace and joy as well as being who they want to be!!

No comments:

Post a Comment